Since 1964, Thomson Lamination Company has been a superior manufacturer of precision metal stamped laminations and components. Our metal-stamped products are second-to-none, with exceptionally tight tolerances for some of the most complex and high-quality motor laminations on the market. With over 50 years of experience, we always produce precision components to the most stringent standards and tolerances.
Precision metal stamping is a highly specialized metal fabrication method that uses steel or carbide dies to cut metal. The process is highly efficient and useful for both large and small production runs, as well as lamination sizes.
Precision Metal Stamping Industries and Applications
Precision stamping is a highly versatile process used to create highly accurate parts and components within tight tolerances for a wide range of demanding industries, including aerospace, military and defense, medical, and power generation.
Components for these high stakes industries require precision well beyond what most common job shops can offer. This makes precision metal stamping particularly useful in the fabrication of precision components such as:
- Linear Laminations
At Thomson Lamination, we rely on precision metal stamping to create rotors and stators for motor laminations, which are a core product of our business. Our advanced stamping capabilities grant us the capability to offer a broad range of customization capabilities on motor laminations and other products. Our catalog contains more than 1,500 dies for producing laminations, and we can build custom and proprietary dies for unique client needs and requirements.
Precision Metal Stamping Materials
Precision metal stamping is compatible with a variety of materials, so you can choose the best possible material for your application. This process is most commonly used with various steels, including:
- High-alloy steel
- Hiperco 50 alloy
- Nickel (49% and 80%)
- Thin-gauge, non-oriented electrical steel
- Silicon steel
Advantages of Precision Metal Stamping
As a metal fabrication method, precision metal stamping offers numerous benefits, including:
- High-speed production.Precision metal stamping is highly automated and efficient, which reduces production time and allows for superior accuracy and repeatability.
- Exceptional accuracy.Precision metal stamping tolerances are exceptionally high, which results in components of superior and consistent quality.
- Cost-effective. Precision metal stamping is highly efficient, requires minimal labor, and produces little material waste, thereby improving production efficiency and lowering overall production costs.
Types of Precision Metal Stamping
There are two major types of precision metal stamping. Each has its own advantages depending on production needs:
- Progressive die stamping. Progressive die stamping uses an automated feeding system and is useful for longer runs and more complex stamping processes. High-volume progressive die stamping may include the use of staking dies.
- Short-run stamping. Short-run stamping allows the production of small batches and is perfect for the production of prototypes and marketing batches. This method often uses notching dies.
Precision Metal Stamping With Thomson Lamination Company, Inc.
With more than 50 years of experience, Thomson Lamination Company is an industry leader in precision metal stamping and motor lamination production. In addition to our metal stamping services, we are pleased to offer annealing, tooling, grinding, and assembly services that make us a true one-stop shop for our customers. We implement strict quality assurance measures across all of our manufacturing processes and comply with a variety of stringent industry standards, such as:
- NADCAP Heat Treating
- NADCAP Welding
- ISO 9001:2015